Early attempts to establish an Episcopal congregation in Airdre in the 1840’s had met with little success. However, in 1883 a mission under the supervision of St John the Evangelist, Coatbridge was begun. This lasted until 1886. The present congregation began as a mission on 1st October 1893.
The present building opened for worship on 30th April 1898 and was consecrated on 29th June 1901.
The church was rededicated as St Paul and St John the Evangelist on Harvest Sunday, 10th October 1993, following the closure of the Coatbridge church and the uniting of the two congregations. Since then, much work has been done to improve the fabric of the building, to provide appropriate access and to ensure it meets the needs of the present congregation while maintaining its heritage.