St Andrew’s began as a mission from Coatbridge in September 1895. The initial services were held in the village reading room.
The first church was an iron and wood structure which opened in 1897. The later building was opened for worship and consecrated in September 1914. In 1910 St Andrew’s came under the pastoral care of Baillieston but reverted to Coatbridge in 1916. St Andrew’s became an independent congregation in 1920. In 1962 St Andrew’s linked with St Serf’s, Glasgow. This changed in 1965 when St Andrew’s linked with St Paul’s, Airdrie.
The decline in the steel industry in Gartcosh also saw a decline in membership of St Andrew’s. The building was finally closed for worship in 1995, the remaining congregation uniting with St Paul & St John. The St Andrew’s building was demolished to make way for housing.